It was time to bring some life and fun back into golf."

WSJ's Suzanne Vranica reports on EA's new "lighthearted" Tiger Woods ad.

"It was time to bring some life and fun back into golf," says Peter Moore, president of EA Sports. "It's been a tough six months in the business of golf and with what went on with Tiger...it is time to lighten up."

Mr. Woods hasn't had much to smile about of late. In May, he withdrew from the Players Championship in the final round because of a neck injury. He is expected to return to competition at the Memorial Tournament, which starts Thursday.

The EA ads were shot on May 11 in Orlando, Fla., marking Mr. Woods's second campaign since his image and golf career were upended by marital infidelities.

May 11th eh? Two days after the Players WD? Wasn't the facet joint still inflamed?



Monty: Enter The Tournament I'm Chair Of, Assuming You Want To Be A Captain's Pick

Derek Lawrenson on Monty telling Europe's leading players that if they skip final qualifying spot at Gleneagles in August--which conflicts with the first FedEx Cup playoff event--they risk missing out on the Ryder Cup should they not make the team on points.

‘I’ll be very surprised if I pick any player on the border of the team whom I ask to play at Gleneagles and they don’t show up,’ he said. ‘I expect there will be about eight
 candidates for my three wild cards and it should be a given that they turn up at the final event.’

A fascinating battle of wills, therefore, between the captain and some of those who have served Europe so well at past Ryder Cups. It will be interesting to see who blinks first.

Garcia, for example, was shocked when he learned of the clash between the FedEx Cup and the last qualifying event, the Johnnie Walker Championship.

‘Why have they done that?’ asked the Spaniard, who didn’t even turn up at the European Tour’s flagship event at Wentworth last month. ‘The Ryder Cup is very important but you can’t change your whole schedule for it.’

There's just one glaring conflict of interest issue here and I know you'll be shocked....shocked, to learn that it involves Captain Monty!

Monty, who also happens to be tournament host at that event at Gleneagles, was furious when Nick Faldo, captain last time, picked two wild cards who took up the FedEx Cup option: Casey and Ian Poulter.

And the reactions? Alistair Tait in Golfweek:

The man gives the impression that he is in complete control. Yet underneath, it’s hard not to leave one of his news conferences with the impression he’s making things up as he goes along.

Peter Dixon says Monty tried to backtrack, but not really.

When pushed, however, Montgomerie was forced to backtrack. “OK, no, it’s not cast in stone. I cannot tell people to be playing in particular tournaments,” he said. “I can only ask. But I would be very surprised if I ask those particular players that are on the border [and] they are not there.”

And it seems that this will be the case, at least for Sergio. Mark Reason writes:

“I, you, the audience can’t envisage a Ryder Cup without Sergio. He’s a different case. I will be asking him to participate at Gleneagles to make the effort that’s required to be on the team.

“He’s the one guy that’s brought passion to the Ryder Cup after Seve. Seve’s the most passionate player I’ve seen play golf. Sergio is of that ilk. He’s been a great asset to any team I’ve been on with him.”

To call Garcia a different case is asking for trouble. Monty might think in private that Garcia is a different case and there are many who would agree with Europe’s Ryder Cup captain. But it is ill-advised to say so in public.

Vijay Gets A U.S. Open Special Exemption!?

I just don't get this one at all.

VIJAY SINGH ACCEPTS SPECIAL EXEMPTION INTO 2010 U.S. OPEN

Far Hills, N.J. (June 2) – Vijay Singh, who has recorded three victories in golf’s Major Championships, has accepted a special exemption from qualifying for the 2010 U.S. Open Championship, which will be played June 17-20 at Pebble Beach (Calif.) Golf Links.

“I’m finally back to good health and really looking forward to competing at Pebble Beach,” said Singh. “It’s a fantastic event at a legendary venue. I appreciate the invitation from the USGA and can’t wait to tee it up.”

“There were many compelling reasons for us to invite Vijay Singh into the field of this year’s U.S. Open, particularly his three wins in Majors in the last 12 years,” said Thomas J. O’Toole Jr., chairman of the USGA’s championship committee. “He has played through injuries, which caused him to drop, quite quickly this year, in the World Rankings. He’s always been competitive at the U.S. Open and he is healthy and playing well again.”

Singh, a native of Fiji who won the 1998 and 2004 PGA Championships as well as the 2000 Masters Tournament, has competed in 16 U.S. Open Championships, including the last 15 consecutively. His best finish was a tie for third in 1999 and he has finished in the top 10 on seven occasions. In 2003 at Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club, he tied a pair of U.S. Open scoring records with a second-round 63 that included a 29 on the second nine. He has won 34 PGA Tour events in his career and has played on eight Presidents Cup teams.

"Who's going to drive the future of Colorado Golf Club?"

In a world where you have clubs that would kill to host a major, then there's Colorado Golf Club.

 

It's kind of an amazing thing to read Anthony Cotton's story on Colorado Golf Club's shaky status and realize that the PGA of America sees it as a potential host site for future majors and yet, the place seems to have a corporate ownership situation that may doom the course.

Read More