Martin Blake reports that Adam Scott was just experimenting Tuesday and will have his anchored putter for round one of the Emirates Australian Open at The Lakes in Sydney.
He also continues to refine his argument against the anchoring ban and it remains hard to argue with his stance:
“My view on the whole thing, overall, is if they’re going to make decisions like that, they be consistent like that philosophy throughout the whole game of golf. Then I’ll have no problem. I think it’s a very big call that they’ve made; and only time will tell if it’s the right call for the game or not.’’
Asked if he agreed with the decision, he said: “I’ll agree with it if they’re consistent with their philosophy of bringing the game back to its traditions ... is set right throughout the game. Because a lot of things are not set right either.
“I think length is commonly acknowledged as the biggest problem in the game of golf, not just how far pros hit it, but how long courses are having to be built now. That certainly has a massive impact on the industry: cost, time, all those things which are turning people away from the game, at the end of the day. That’s certainly not what we want to do.’’
**Mike Clayton on the fascination with Scott's putting this week:
This is Scott’s first event post the announced ban of his putting method and there will be more newsprint wasted on that subject than anything else. To implement a ban three years from now seems to be an inordinate time for us to wait for the banishment of something that should have been killed off within months of its appearance.
He will tire of answering the same question over and over but in Perth last week the 1989 champion Peter Senior had the best answer to the ‘what do you think of the long putter ban?’ question.
‘About time’ said Senior, ‘I’m putting like an idiot.’