After intense merger talks between lawyers for FedExCup(C) and The Playoffs(C), PGA Tour Communications has announced major structural and terminlogy changes to the 2013-14 ResetCup.
The resets are firmly in place and the whole thing is all about the algorithm writers and not the players, so rest assured nothing was changed there.
But we have a new official name for the playoff portion of the proceedings: FedExCup Playoffs. Along with it comes a highly unoriginal caddie bib for the current leader ripped off inspired by the Champions Tour's Schwab Cup, which ripped off took inspiration from the Tour de France.
The bib is distinguishable with orange accents on the shoulders and pocket.
I guess a few accents are better than dressing up the caddie in a FedEx uniform?
• The Playoffs officially become the FedExCup Playoffs (with new logo)
Me thinks someone paying lavishly to sponsor the cup wanted more bang for their buck...
• We no longer refer to the Regular Season; we reference the PGA TOUR Season and the FedExCup is the season-long competition that culminates with the FedExCup Playoffs
Got that Lerner? I want that taped to your refrigerator door.
That goes for you, too, Hicks, Nantz, Gannon and the entire Communications Department.
Just curious, do we writers have to capitalize regular season or face parking in the volunteer lot?
• Once the schedule begins to bridge calendar years, the season reference will include both years, as in: the 2013-2014 PGA TOUR Season
• Reference to a specific tournament will still be by the calendar year in which it is played, as in: XXX is defending champion of the 2013 Frys.com Open (which is part of the 2013-14 PGA TOUR Season)
• There no longer will be a “Fall Series” on the PGA TOUR; those tournaments should be referred to as “season opening events”
Darn, and I had Fall First in the pool.
• The 2013 PGA TOUR Season will include 36 events before the FedExCup Playoffs
Therefore prompting Websters to add PGA Tour to its definition for "oversaturation."
• Three Additional Events, played the same weeks as certain Major Championships and World Golf Championships, will offer a slight increase in FedExCup Points (winners receive 300 points, vs. 250 in 2012)
• An off week during the FedExCup Playoffs will fall between the second and third events (rather than the third and fourth)
• The 2013 PGA TOUR Season and the FedExCup Playoffs end in late September with the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola
• The 2013-2014 PGA TOUR Season officially begins 3 weeks later; the season-opening events begin awarding full FedExCup points
Ugh, I spoke to soon. We get three whole weeks off! Thankfully, I know this new shortened off-season and increased workload has meant more pay for the hard working PGA Tour staff. Well, at least at the VP and up level.
• The CIMB Classic and World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions become official events on the PGA TOUR (official victory, full FedExCup points, official money; winners qualify for Hyundai Tournament of Champions)
Alas, no fixing the format...again.
But why fix what's broken?