Doug Ferguson's round 1 game story focuses on John Daly's rigorous pre-PGA preparation while Lawrence Donegan's Guardian piece answers who 29-year-old Englishman Graeme Storm is and how he fired an impressive opening 65.
Craig Dolch blogs about the joys of a John Daly press conference, then writes about it in the paper.
Sally Jenkins pens a fun column on Daly too:
Daly caromed across the course and into second place with a round that was loud and precarious, a complete disaster waiting to happen and yet spectacularly averted.
"To be honest, I was waiting to make a seven or eight," he said.
He finished with a 3-under-par 67, but that number seemed meek and hardly descriptive of all that happened on the tight, sun-chapped par 70 of Southern Hills. Most of it he couldn't even remember afterward, he was so exhausted by the 103-degree temperature and his various adventures.
"I only had three heatstrokes out there," he joked.
Golf Digest's John Antonini hopes he's wrong, but smells a Daly meltdown Friday. Especially if he tries that 18th hole tee shot strategy, which Damon Hack highlighted in his game story.
Ed Sherman tidies up any other unanswered questions with his round 1 birdies and bogies.
Oh wait, more John Daly fun from Patrick Reusse in the Minneapolis paper:
Actually, Daly said he handled the heat OK from his experience of living in Arkansas. And, he offered this counsel to the Southern Hills spectators who will be dealing with 100-degree heat for three more days.
"I'm used to these kind of little valleys, where you don't get any air, and there's a lot of humidity, and it's tough to breathe," he said. "I light up a cigarette and drink some caffeine and it actually works."
Asked if he had lost weight during these 18 holes, he said: "I probably didn't lose any because I didn't drink one bit of water. I had Diet Cokes, Diet Pepsis."
Mark Whicker explains Angel Cabrera's 10 at the 6th hole which included a few shots I can't really picture, and I can picture a golf ball doing just about anything! ***Reader Martin notes that PGA.com has posted this video of the 10.
Round 1 photos of people look hot and generally miserable: GolfDigest.com, golf.com and GolfChannel.com.
Gary Van Sickle talks to Arron Oberholser about his injury troubles.
And finally, the various transcripts from round 1 are here:
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Tiger Woods
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Mark Wilson
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Lee Westwood
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Camilo Villegas
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Graeme Storm (Quotes)
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Graeme Storm
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: John Senden
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Pat Perez
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Arron Oberholser
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Sean O'Hair
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Brad Lardon
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Padraig Harrington
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Sergio Garcia (Quick Quotes)
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Sergio Garcia
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Niclas Fasth
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Ernie Els
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Bradley Dredge
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Luke Donald
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: John Daly
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Markus Brier
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Brian Bateman
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Woody Austin (Quotes)
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Woody Austin
- PGA CHAMPIONSHIP: Stephen Ames