John Daly appeared to intentionally pump balls into the 11th hole lake so that he could walk in from the Australian Open first round. From The Age quoting tournament director Trevor Herden:
‘He walked straight off the golf course. It’s very disappointing obviously, for the tournament.
‘‘I’m extremely bitter and disappointed. It’s becoming a bit of a habit.
‘‘It’s unacceptable (and) unprofessional.’’
Herden said it was unlikely Daly would ever be invited back to Australia.
The PGA of Australia issued this statement:
Statement from Brian Thorburn, CEO of the PGA of Australia
Thursday 10th November 2011
“The PGA Tour of Australasia confirms that no appearance fees were payable to John Daly for his appearance at the Emirates Australian Open or for his planned appearance at the Australian PGA Championship. This afternoon’s actions by Daly in withdrawing from the course constitute a breach of the PGA Tour of Australasia’s regulations and will be referred to the disciplinary committee as soon as practically possible. In view of that breach and a similar instance in Europe recently the PGA Tour of Australasia has withdrawn its offer to John Daly to play at the Australian PGA Championship.”
“The PGA does not need this kind of behaviour tarnishing the achievements of other players and the reputation of our tournaments. John is not welcome at Coolum.”
And after, Herden, the tournament director, was as blunt as anyone I've heard when talking about Daly. And much overdue:
Statement, comments by Trevor Herden on John Daly
Thursday 10 November 2011
Apparently he (Daly) hit his driver off 10 and hit it in the bunker. There was another ball in the bunker which we believe might have been from the practice range. He has played a wrong ball out of the bunker. He came back and played the proper ball, his ball. Then I believe he went down 11 and hit five or six balls in the water. I’m not exactly sure (how many). He walked straight off the golf course with his son beside him, got in a courtesy car and went straight back to the hotel. It is very disappointing for the tournament. It is certainly unprofessional. And I am extremely bitter and disappointed that he has treated this championship this way. It is becoming a bit of a habit. Something similar happened last week or the week before. It is unacceptable and I certainly hope that all the Tours deal with it in the appropriate manner this time. We are definitely disappointed in that attitude and that behaviour. It is unprofessional.
Why does he keep coming back here and take appearance money?
I’m not going to talk about appearance money but he likes to come back this time of the year to Australia. Obviously he is a major winner. We have to pay him some respect too. Even though time has moved on – don’t shake your head Stoney – he is still a major winner. He likes to come back. If he likes to play the Australian Open, we’ll have major winners. But I would say this is the last time we will see John Daly.
This is not the first time. Why do you keep inviting him?
He needs invites in a lot of cases. As I just said, he is a major winner. What I will say is that the Tours will deal with this. They need to deal with it. He is a Tour member, on the US Tour. On the European Tour I think he may have a status. They need to deal with this in the most serious fashion.
Can you explain the issue on 10? Was he penalised and upset about that?
No one is too happy to hit a wrong ball out of a bunker. So he gets a two-shot penalty.
He was not arguing with the penalty, was he?
He has been suspended before. Are you saying he should be suspended?
I’m saying they should deal with it in the professional way needed. This brings all the other Tour players in the same boat. It is not a good light for all the other Tour players out here doing their best and playing the championship.
Daly's post round tweet: